It happened on February 15th 2006 late that evening. As a tiny bit of background, Jeremy and I had just had a.. discussion shall we say a couple of nights earlier where we mutually decided that waiting until late in the evening to call me wasn't nice, and me calling him all the time was equally un-nice, so our compromise was that he would call earlier on in the day, and I would not call! So Valentines day rolls around (which I had secretly said in my head a few weeks earlier that if it hadn't happened by Valentines day, then it probably never would) and passes by. The next day, I don't hear from Jeremy for a very long time. By 10:00 at night, I'm pretty upset. I mean, we JUST talked about this! So when the phone rang, I picked up in a huff with every intention of saying I was just going to bed and didn't want to see him. Before I could say any of my well planned excuse however, Jeremy just said "I'm coming over" and hung up. So, being the emotional person that I am, I burst into tears. One of my roommates was home (Cortney Gibson, now Camberlango) and she happened to know that there would be a proposal tonight and she started freaking out a little at my angry tears. I didn't understand why she was SOO concerned about it, until Jeremy knocked on the door. I composed myself and marched to the door to tell him to just go home, but all I found was a yellow rose. For those of you who don't know, I LOVE yellow. So, the waterworks start again, but for a totally different reason! I knew right away it was a proposal because, not to be rude, but romantic generally is not Jeremy's style.
So I open the card attached to the rose and it has a note that says stuff like "We are different, but we love eachother anyway, life without you would be the worst thing I could imagine", and all sorts of sweet things, then there's a card that says:
Hi! Welcome to scavenger hunt with Jeremy time!!
Clue one:
Under the place where I first saw the fluid that makes your body tick.
(Not a happy day in my life)
I hope you have your truck!!
So, I found the next clue under the sink where Jeremy cleaned out a bad cut in my head when we first started dating. (I ended up getting 7 staples there, but that's for another blog!) So under my sink, I find another rose with another card attached. The next card reads:
Here is where I first saw the inside of Lana Smith, oh what a sight!! I don't think red is your best color, maybe in the future we can keep the red off of you! Remember the good old days of Lana the accident prone! Ahh good memories - I hope you will stay on your feet from here on out!
Love you, Jeremy
Clue 2:
The one thing we both agree to watch without the other person compromising. :)
(picture of a little man with a gun.. Jack Bauer)
So I found our 24 DVD's and there was another rose behind there! The next card read:
Hmmm - 24, such a good show, I don't think you realized when you told me you were an addict how much of a turn on, or interest getter that was - I was quite excited! We'll just have to wait and see how season 5 turns out!
Love ya! Jeremy
Clue 3:
The place where I 1st learned about you and your weird eating habbits. (After a nice hike)
We ate at a mexican place across town, so Cortney and I jumped in my truck and hustled over there where we found card #4:
You don't eat cheese unless it's melted - WHAT?? You can't eat two things at the same time?? (Are all Canadians this weird?) My 1st thoughts while eating with you here! Still are my thoughts actually haha - but I wouldn't have it any other way!
Love you Mucho, Jeremy
Clue 4:
HAVING FUN YET?? I hope so!! You don't have to go too far for this one: The 1st place I "hung out" with Orville! I mean, Orvil.
We drove to a restaurant called Wingers close by and read clue 5!
SEEMS like we were just here doesn't it? I liked "hanging out" with your parents here. I love your family - they were so good to me in Canada! Plus they made one of the best girls I've ever met!! ((That would be you)) mmm sticky fingers. Grab another sucker while you're here!
Love ya, JEREMY
Clue 5:
The place where you were all wet and freezing and I 1st noticed your rosy red cheeks! Good hunting!
P.S. I'm the hunter!
This was at a stake party at Smith park, so we drove over there!
Who goes in a dunk tank in Rexburg? Seriously? This is where I 1st notice the cute girl that would steal my heart away. I guess we kind of owe it to Adam and Jocelyn, but I think God had his hand in it! Jeans and a green jacket!
Love you baby, Jeremy
Clue 6:
The place you 1st wooed me with your skills and I made my 1st move - muah!
Our first kiss was in the Taylor building on campus where I was playing the piano while he studied.. at least that's what we said when we made the plans, but it also ended up being our first kiss. It happened when I accused him of being a player, and he reassured me that he in fact was not a player, and sealed it with a kiss! Anyway, we headed over there in a hurry! The exact room was being cleaned, so it was a room across the hall where I came in and saw the rose on the piano, so I ran in, grabbed it, and ran back out to the truck to read it. It says:
OOOHHH! I still remember those remarkably smooth lips - uh huh! Many smacks later you've got me pretty well addicted to those sweet kisses. I know there will be many more to come - right? - haha
Te amo mi amor, Jeremy
Clue 7:
You can't finish this until you've plaed your favorite hymn - from memory.
So Cortney and I sat in the truck puzzled for a good long while. FINALLY I decided to go back in and play the song in that same room. When I got there I realized Jeremy had been there all along, I just ran in and out so fast I didn't see him. So I played hymn #284 If You Could Hie to Kolob (not from memory) with shaking hands, and then I opened the piano bench and there were rose petals spread out with a beautiful ring box in the middle. It was perfect. Well, JUST about.. amidst all the excitement and confusion I opened the box and put the ring on... so no down on one knee thing, but I was just so excited!
So that's the story, we rushed back to the apartment after to tell all my roommates and we tracked down my brother and told him, called the parents, yada yada. One last detail, in all the cards there was also a letter, I read these later. They were letters that Jeremy had written to his future wife during a "preparing for eternal marriage" class a couple of years earlier, and one recent one about me specifically. They are beautiful, but to save your gag reflex, I'll keep them to myself (as if the explanation to that last clue didn't have you reaching for your grab bags already... like I said, this is more for my personal history book so I don't want any details left out!!)
So, that's how it happened. And I love him to death! This is by far the most romantic thing he's ever done, and it's EXACTLY how I wanted my proposal to go, and I didn't even tell him! Also it was a big surprise, and he picked out a beautiful ring all on his own. What a guy!
Recently engaged couple (obviously not right after)
The engagement box, I still have.
All the roses... I dried them, but ended up only keeping some petals.

My ring!
2 comments:
Go Jeremy!!! What a romantic! I am impressed. I love your descriptions! I wa laughing through the whole thing! Ha ha! Congrats on getting engagged (yea, I said gagged! hee hee)
Aww I loved the story Lana!
Post a Comment