Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Trek

Well I just realized I am going to be way behind if I don't keep up while I'm here a little bit! So I will start trying to keep updated! I wanted to write about our adventure traveling here. Me with two kids... I've done it before, but Mason was a baby last time, and this time, he's much more... mobile. So, we got to the airport at ohhh 8:30ish I think. We got all checked in and our bag checked without too much trouble. Then it was me and the kids, a stroller, two carry on bags, a diaper bag, a backpack and my sanity... to start with. We were, of coarse, at the FARTHEST gate possible. A30. So we get to security and it actually goes pretty smoothly! But then they needed to check my back pack, and he took EVERYTHING out, opened every package I had inside of food and toys just to be sure and then after about 10 or more minutes of us standing there and Mason screaming he finally stuffed everything I had organized meticulously back in to my bag as haphazardly as possible and we were finally on our way! So we start walking to A30, decide to take one of those walking sidewalks, where we are scolded by an angry flight attendant for taking our stroller on (even though she easily passed us with her bags). So we couldn't do that anymore. So we pass A1-29 on our trek and finally make it to A30 tired and sweaty... where the screen says gate moved to B10... seriously?!!! We just hiked to the farthest corner of the airport! So we had to go to the exact opposite side.. no moving sidewalks even though we passed 4.. BUT we got there and I got the kids out to play while we waited (our flight was also delayed). Eventually we got our gate moved again, but not too far this time, and a very kind gentleman helped me get there by wheeling my carry-ons.
So we finally get on the plane, find out seats and hope that nobody sits by us!! haha but somebody does, she is a cancer patient and is doing treatment. After boarding is complete she politely asks the flight attendant if there is another seat somewhere else because the last thing she needs in her life right now is to sit beside two kids on a 3 hour flight. So, we have a row to ourselves! Perfect! My hopes are high and I'm thinkin it is a piece of cake from here on out! So the flight actually wasn't that bad in my opinion. My kids didn't cry or scream out or misbehave much at all! Mason didn't go to sleep despite being very tired, but he was still happy, so that was ok. ANYWAY, I'll shorten up this long story. The lady in front of us was a witch. She insisted that Brenna was kicking her seat incessantly (she was mostly just wiggling her tray, but I get that that can be frustrating) so I moved her over and put Mason behind her... to which she turned around multiple times and made loud noises of anger and frustration. The middle seat in their row was empty and I was about ready to give her a piece of my mine (which takes A LOT) and tell her to just move over if she can't bare it anymore since I can't move from the middle seat without losing control of my kids, but the flight ended and we were finally getting off. This lady though went out of her way, she stopped where the cancer patient ended up sitting and LOUDLY exclaimed how lucky she was to have gotten away from sitting near us since we were extremely annoying and rude and painful to sit by.. everyone on the plane heard her. I had half a mind to find her and tell her all of my very angry thoughts at that point, but I didn't see her again... lucky for her.. haha. Afterwards all of the other people sitting around us assured me that my kids were amazingly well behaved for a 3 hour flight and not to worry about her, so I tried to let it go.
So we arrived and we made it through the marathon maze through customs, baggage and finally out to family! What a relief! I had Brenna pushing a cart with all of our luggage on it while I guided it at the other end while pushing the stroller.. people were smiling and laughing at our awkwardness, but I felt like we were actually doing pretty good! haha And it's so good to be here and have the hardest part behind us!



1 comment:

lynz said...

i have done a lot of flying with my kids and have never heard of such a witch before! how rude can you be - seriously! i so would have given her a piece of my mind so good work on keeping your cool. if your kids didn't scream or cry at all, i say that's a major success! thankfully, the people around you saw it that way. glad you made it safe and sound and sane :) can't wait to see you soon!!!!