Probably a year ago now I was at the park with Brenna... actually it may have been a little more than a year ago. I was with a friend (Evelyn) and her kids, and it was the evening and the park was PACKED! I was nervous letting Brenna just go play since it was so busy and she was one of the smallest on the playground. We went to this park often, but it had never been busy like this before. Anyway, she wanted to play, so Evelyn and I sat as close as we could (lots of the seats were taken already) and kept an eager eye on our little ones. I glanced up a few minutes later and saw a boy push Brenna down. He was quite a bit older than her (she was 1 1/2 and he was probably 3 at least) and so I got up to go move her to a different toy. While I was walking over he pushed her again... I walked a little faster. Then every time she tried to get up, he pushed her down again and they were getting closer and closer to the stairs. When I saw this happening, I became someone else! Just for a few seconds, but I was more than embarrassed when it was over. I started running across the playground, and when I got there I was yelling... I didn't realize I was until after. I was yelling at the little boy, telling him not to push and didn't he see the stairs and didn't he know she was small? I scooped Brenna off the playground, and started walking away while realizing very quickly what had just happened. I ducked my head down and looked around quickly to see if the little boy's parents had seen me yell at their son. They had of coarse, actually it was just his dad, and he didn't look happy. I hurried away embarrassed by my outburst. Evelyn was surprised at what she had seen as well, but assured me it was good to stick up for Brenna.
Anyway, that was my very first Momma Bear moment. I have had a couple of others since then, and each time I feel a bit embarrassed after, especially if it turns out it wasn't as bad as I thought. I once raised my voice to my niece when she threw Brenna on the ground especially hard, but then as soon as I did it I realized her parents and my mother-in-law were both right there and obviously thought I overreacted. I had, of coarse, but was too proud to admit it to them... just to myself as I walked away blushing slightly (and maybe a little bit steamed).
So, does this happen to everyone, or should I seek counseling? As a disclaimer, I am under no delusions that my children are angel's or defenseless victims, in fact, now that Brenna is older she is often the aggressor and I have to keep a close eye to make sure I'm not the recipient of some Momma Bear Syndrome... but that doesn't stop me from occasionally losing my cool! If it's just me, then I will have to delete this and try and work on keeping that under control!
7 comments:
You are not alone!
You are definitely not alone and you should not be embarrassed...okay, maybe if you are being unreasonable. But the park story is totally warranted. If the dad wasn't doing anything to teach his son then I would have done the same thing. I would probably even stick up for other kids if they were getting pushed down. Have some confidence in your parenting...that dad may not have been upset with you...but upset with his son and just hadn't talked to him yet!
You were right to stick up for her like that, but I still laugh thinking about it. You were awesome in your Mama-Bear-ness! That kid totally deserved it!
BTW, I think we all know my Mama Bear is much too grouchy and sensitive. :P
I'm not even a mom and I get that way with the special kids in my life! I don't understand why some parents can't keep a better eye on their kids OR discipline them. Then I worry & wonder if I overreacted since I'm not around kids 24/7 and maybe I don't know what "rough play" is! haha
BTW - I'm Haley, your partner for the Ornament Swap! I just ordered one for you this morning, I can't wait to send it, you're gonna love it! =]
Oh no! I definitely do NOT think handmade things are lame. Yours is handmade as well, just by a friend of mine... my crafts are more jewelry and hula hoop related, I don't think I could make an ornament! =] Have a great Monday!
I think you are right to do that. When my kid pushes I want to be the first one there to apologize and discipline him. I would be mortified if I wasn't paying attention and another mother had to protect their kid from mine. Maybe next time that parent will pay more attention! :)
Never regret watching out for your kids lana. :) but after it is over, be sure to "let it go" because grudges will only cause you heartache and real regret. I believe that for the most part, actions that hurt or offend are unintentional. You are a great mom and friend. Thank you for forgiving my kids and me when we have unintentionally "pushed" you or your kiddies "down". Love you!
Post a Comment