Saturday, April 3, 2010

On My Mind

So, I usually write about my life, and I plan to continue doing that, but this one time, I want to write about something that's on my mind. I have been unable to get this off my mind for over two weeks now, so I thought I'd just put it on paper!
So, it's always been a little irritating to me when people say things like "oh you just have one kid, wait till you have two, you'll realize how easy one was" or "two is a breeze, it's the transition to three that is killer", or other such things. Things that make you feel like you are somehow in a less worthy (I don't know that that's the right word, but it's the best I can come up with) phase of life. More than a few times I've been saying something to the effect of how tired I am or how rough a particular night was with my oldest and someone has stopped me and said "oh, that's nothing, just you wait."
To add to my ponderings, I overheard a conversation at church a few weeks ago that has me irked. the people I overheard were visiting our ward, and they are people who I respect and admire, which is why I was so surprised to hear this conversation. One of the ladies was saying how she had a relative who had had a baby a year or two ago. This relative of hers had been living at home with her parents at the time, and apparently she was complaining all the time about how hard it was to be a mom and other such things. This girl is now about to have her second child, and is no longer living at home or with any family near by. So this lady went on to say that to teach her relative a lesson, she hoped that this new baby was a very cranky or difficult baby just to teach this girl a lesson about being a mom. She said things to the effect of "life goes on so deal and quit complaining".
Now I am not trying to say that everyone should go around complaining freely and nobody should ever stop and say suck it up or anything, I just have to say, that I would bet that when people who say things like this were young and had just one kid, that they didn't think life was a total breeze either. That there were times that were difficult and you may even have complained or at least had personal private moments where it was tough. And then when you had two it was hard to, but that doesn't mean that suddenly life prior to that had been easy.
All I'm trying to say is that just because somebody might already have 5 kids or something and I have only one or two, it doesn't mean that my life is easy and theirs is hard, it just means we're in different stages and have very different struggles and joys.
I'm not trying to be rude, and I don't even remember particular people who have made these comments, I just know that every time I hear them I'm tempted to respond, but instead I smile or laugh to be polite. I am going to try my hardest not to say anything like that to a young or new mother because I remember that it was hard with one sometimes! Sometimes, life was even hard with no kids at all! haha anyway, I don't think I'm alone in this... nobody likes to be made to feel like they are somehow inferior or something for being younger or whatever the case may be. Alright, no more blogging about thoughts, just life.

3 comments:

Cathy said...

well you just wait....jk. I totally uderstand. Comments like that made me not want to have my little girl. It actually stressed me out quite a bit. It has been rough, but I just think there is a learning curve to everything that life throws at us and we just have to roll with the punches. Don't let comments get you down.

Mindy said...

I could give you a hug for this post. I have really been wanting to post something similar to this. I hate it when people forget how it was to be a new mom or to experience something new that is hard at the time. It's crazy how often people forget how it was to be in an earlier stage of life. Also, really why do they have to put a negative spin on the happy things in life. For example, when someone decides to get married people always say "you just wait till after the honeymoon" are they really trying to say that life is that horrible? Why would they ruin someones excitement and happy moments like having baby with a comment like "you just wait till you're up all night with a sick kid" why would anyone wait for that? Anyway, I agree with you and I try hard. Thanks for letting me share and for sharing your thoughts. I haven't been brave enough to post mine.

Katy B. said...

Lana, Thank you for writing this! I felt those same feelings when I was pregnant with Josie. And a little with Cole.
Why we mothers judge each other (intentionally or not) is beyond me.:) I know I'm not perfect and tend to say things without thinking sometimes, so I hope I haven't been one of those people. If so, I am so sorry.
Just know that I get you. I understand. Just the mere fact alone that you are not getting the sleep that you need right now because you're up with a baby, makes life really hard sometimes.

I love you. I think you're an awesome Mommy! I'll always be in your corner...always.

Keep on blogging your thoughts...I love to hear about them. Don't ever be embaressed. They are who you are...and you are wonderful!:)