Monday, April 19, 2010

Baby Blues

This is Mason. He is my 2 month old son. He is VERY different than my daughter was at his age. Brenna was a very happy baby. She would sit there and smile and coo and she really didn't cry very often. Mason on the other hand, if he isn't eating or sleeping, then he is usually crying. I have been frustrated with this because it makes me feel a little out of my element. He is occasionally happy (as pictured) but it seems like it's pretty rare to catch him at a good time. Nobody will believe me because he seems to be good when we're out or around people, it's just when we're home that the crying ensues.
This weekend was really nice because Jeremy was home, and since having two kids, I REALLY appreciate having him home to help! He's a great dad, but he too was frustrated by the endless crying. But, it seems, right when you're at the end of your rope, Heavenly Father helps make it all ok.
Last night at around 11:30 after trying to put Mason in the crib a couple of times but he would wake up and cry, I was holding him our bed and telling Jeremy how frustrating this was. How did he even know the difference from his bassinet to his crib anyway? He's just a baby! We noted the difference between Mason and Brenna. Brenna was a dream baby for the most part. She would be happy nearly all the time (unless it was time to eat... she was a horrible eater). Mason is not that way. He isn't often happy to just observe or lay or anything. We decided he's just not a very happy "awake" baby. So, I decided to try ONE MORE TIME to put him down in his crib, but if he woke up I was just going to put him in the bassinet again, resigned to the fact that I have an unhappy baby :(.
Lo and behold, he did not wake up... for a very long time! Too long actually! Brenna woke up around 3:30, so I went and put her back in bed and then I had to check on Mason to make sure he was ok. He was breathing and everything looked in order, so I went and laid back down. I couldn't sleep though because I was sure as soon as I did he'd wake up. He slept till 4:30 though! And more impressive than that, he didn't even cry the whole time I fed him, changed him and put him back to bed. I was actually almost sad to put him back to sleep because he was being so good and it was fun to see him happy. But I did, and he went right back to sleep and slept until 8:30! He NEVER sleeps past 7! So, it was a good night and I got some much needed sleep for the most part! And I am going to do my best to help Mason be a happy baby!

Side note: Mason was two months on Saturday, and we went to the doctor today. He is growing very well. He is now 23.75 inches long, and 11lbs 13oz. That is pretty average all around, although the doctor did seem pretty impressed with how tall he was, it's only between the 50th-75th precentile... his head is apparently ginormous though coming in above the 95th percentile... big brain!

2 comments:

Evelyn said...

Are you swaddling? That might help. I bet you already are. Just an idea. I remember how rotten Brenna was about eating and how frustrated you would get. I guess they are all different, huh? Kids! Sheesh! :)

Katy B. said...

Oh Lana, my heart goes out to you. Hannah was "my Mason". It was a difficult time...not to mention my PPD. Then Josie came and she was "my Brenna". So sweet, so easy. Dave and I aren't quite sure what Cole is, but we're just glad to have a lil' boy.:)

With each child, their personalities shine with no regard for others sometimes, I'm afraid. Now, I'm not saying he's a naughty baby, not at all. He just is what he is. Just like Hannah was for us....and I've found that I'm glad she was so "stubborn" as a baby when it came to doing things when she was ready to...like sleeping and being happy. Because now, she's using her "powers for good". Her stubbornness is awesome because when she's made up her mind to keep the commandments, no amount of peer pressure will change her mind.:)

Sorry this is so long. Just know I love ya and I promise...it will get better!:)