I want to save my post about Christmas and new years and family visiting when I have the pictures off of my mom's camera! But I thought I would write about our adventure trapped in Mason's room the other night!
It all started when Jeremy left to bring his grandpa dinner. He was going to be gone all night since he was picking up my cousin Brent at the airport later around 10. So at bedtime I was getting the kids all ready and then we went in Mason's room for scriptures and stories and all that jazz. I don't usually shut the door for this, but since Owen is crawling and I didn't want him to wander out and tumble down the stairs, we shut the door. At the end I told Brenna to go wait in her bed while I tucked Mason in. She couldn't get the door open! She had her hands sort of full, so I thought she was just not able to get a good grip. When I went over to open the door, I realized that the outside of the handle was turned while the inside was straight, and it was not going to snap back into place from the inside. We tried and tried and tried, but no luck. I was using every toy I could find to try and unjam it, but no luck. So we started a movie and made a bed on the floor for everyone. I was just going to wait it out in there until 11 or so when Jeremy would get home with Brent and let us out.
I started getting anxious because Owen was up really late and hadn't had a bottle yet and we still had a long time to wait! Of coarse, my phone was downstairs, so I didn't even know for sure what time it was and nobody knew we were stuck! Then it suddenly struck me that Jeremy took Brent's car and when he got home he wouldn't be able to get into the house without me, and he wouldn't know we were stuck upstairs! I started getting a bit frantic then. So I told the kids to watch out and stand back because momma was gonna break that door down. haha that's right, watch out!
I had been able to get the nails out of the hinges, but it wasn't budging the door since the thingy was still closed. So I just put my feet on the wall and pulled out on the door from the bottom as hard as I could. I was expecting the bottom of the door to snap right off, but suddenly the middle hinges popped loose! Better result that I was expecting! So I did it again and the whole door popped right off! It was really heavy! It sort of fell backwards, it's good that I had told everyone to sit back!
So we got out, and Jeremy got home and everyone survived. I haven't put the door back on yet though because I think I will replace the door handle first just incase that might happen again! Nothing like a little excitement on a quiet night at home!
No comments:
Post a Comment