I have been getting better over the years at being more assertive in those situations, but I still avoid them when possible and get nervous and anxious when I know they're coming. The other day, I went to the Carter's store to get some clearance clothes for Mason with a gift that my aunt sent me (thanks Aunt Lynn! I got some cute things!). They were having a big clearance sale, so I was excited to stretch my $20. As soon as I arrived at the store I was uncomfortable though. I was one of only two shoppers, and an attendant right away was on my case. She kept trying to steer me away from the clearance and towards the more expensive items (still on sale, might I add). I finally picked out the clearance items I wanted and I was anxious to pay and leave. At the register, she continued to try and upsell me, but I assured her that I had no intention of going over the $20 gift I had gotten. To my dismay my items only came to $15 something. She immediately directed my attention to some other things on sale that were way more than my limit. At this time, I had a crying baby, and Brenna was trying to shoplift her 3rd or 4th item (not to mention that if she did get out the door, there was the hazard of being hit by a car as well). In utter frustration I grabbed whatever she was telling me was a sale to die for and paid. I spent an extra $16. Of coarse, I just plan on going back to the store and returning the extra items that weren't on clearance, so I will get the money back, but I am left wondering why I can't just be strong! Do I look weak-willed and so sales people automatically are drawn to me? It sure seems that way!
In the future, I am going to try harder to not give in to pushy sales people. I hate having to make another trip just to return things I didn't plan on buying in the first place. I don't want to be rude to these people, just assertive I guess.
Am I the only one this happens to??
4 comments:
nope I'm weak willed too! I'm working on it as well... good luck!
Oh Lana! You are not weak.....you just have a sweet face. :) I used to have that problem too. I just had to learn to be just as strong willed as the salesperson. And I had to remind myself that their feelings weren't getting hurt by my saying no. Its bussiness, no personal. They don't know you from adam. They aren't your friend. You aren't going to see them at church. (Hopefully.)
I think this happens to everyone at some point!! My mom always tell me to say "is there a nice way I can say no?" and if they are still pushy then you can loose the niceness (at least in my opinion!) :) Good luck!
That's always tough. Why don't people get that no means no?!
Post a Comment