Friday, July 17, 2009

My Name is Brenna, And I Am Addicted to Binkies.

10-0636-01.jpgThis has been a source of comfort for Brenna over the .. year, and, mostly, an excellent sleeping aide. Seeing how she has not lost interest, but seemingly grown a deeper attachment for her binky over the last few months, I decided that the longer I waited, the more painful it'd be. So yesterday, sort of spur of the moment, I decided to try a nap with no binky. Brenna seemed a little confused and put out, but she fell asleep pretty quickly. I thought to myself, oh, this won't even be bad! So full of confidence, I put her down for bed time with no binky. What do you know, she fell asleep after only 20 minutes of complaining. I was elated. I thought this would be torture! As I'm bragging to my mom on the web cam about how great this is going, Brenna wakes up only minutes after falling asleep, and she is NOT HAPPY! Determined to make this work, I decide to bring her back out until she's calm, then try the bedtime routine all over again. Overall this happened about 6 times last night between Jeremy and I, and only after 4.5 hours (mostly of Brenna crying and screaming, and just a little of me doing the same) and as a result of a VERY sincere and pleading prayer, did Brenna finally find comfort some other way and fell asleep. The good news is, she stayed asleep all night, no problems! So, I have learned to not brag about a job well done until the job is actually done, and once again been a witness to the miracle of sincere prayer. Brenna is currently napping, no binky, and with any luck, tonight will go better than before!

3 comments:

Evelyn said...

Hmm...I had considered taking away Lydia's today before I read this post. Thanks for convincing me otherwise. :D

Katy B. said...

Go Lana Go! Go Lana Go! You are teaching her to be an independent lil' woman! She will thank you when she's 15 and doesn't have to get braces because her teeth weren't affected by something constantly in her mouth. (This comes from a gal who was a thumb sucker and had to wear braces until her senior year of high school! Ugh!):):)

Skye said...

Good for you Lana! Stick it out and you'll be glad you didn't wait until she's two or three!