Well, incase you hadn't heard, I'm in Canada! But getting here wasn't as easy as it was supposed to be! Although I had been planning for weeks, which I guess in the end I'm very glad I did!
I was nervous to fly with three kids by myself, and especially when one of them is 16 months old and doesn't like to sit still. As a result, I planned and planned for this trip. I bought and made things, packing their airplane backpacks just right with all the things I thought would keep them busy. And I bought a flight in the afternoon so that if all went according to plan Owen would nap on the flight for me. AND!!! It all worked out. Perfectly! Flight was on time, said we had a tail wind so it would be 2.5 hours instead of 3, Owen fell asleep during take off and I had the other two watching Despicable Me on the iPad with their headphones. Perfect flight... patting myself on the back for planning just right when out of nowhere the captain comes on and says that this weird smell (which I did smell and thought it was Owen's diaper, and then somebody just passing nasty gas) that happened during our accent was a safety concern and we were going to need to make an emergency landing in Vegas to make sure everything is ok.
That was the quietest landing ever. Everyone was a little nervous, but the captain had sounded calm and nonchalant about it. When we landed, 3 fire trucks and plenty of police vehicles chased us down to our gate and we immediately had to evacuate the plane. So that was a bit scary, and very upsetting for me realizing quickly that this was going to turn into a major change in plans and my perfect situation was ruined.
So, it's a long story after that.. but it was a very frustrating and emotional day for me. Now that it's in hindsight it doesn't feel as bad, but it's taken me a few days to get there.
At first we were just waiting while the fire guys checked things out, and then the maintenance crew. We landed around 2:15. At 4ish they finally told us our new take off time was going to be 9. They gave us meal vouchers and said be back by 8 to see what's going on. So I asked if there was a place for kids to play... There was.. then there wasn't, so it ended up being a long unnecessary walk, but honestly, what else did we have to do! I had Brenna and Mason walking with heavy backpacks, and Owen strapped into an umbrella stroller against his will while I carried a backpack and a diaper bag. So we got some food and decided to just hang out at the gate since walking wasn't worth it. So we just wasted hours and hours and hours. We would ask what's going on and always get a different answer.. looks good, not good... nobody knew. 8 comes and goes, 9 comes and goes, and no updates at all. finally around 10 they said our flight was going to be cancelled and we were going to hotels for the night. (my kids go to bed at 7, so lets say I was at a bit of a pickle already here). So we go to get our bags and then to the line for hotel vouchers... which we were at the end of because we took a lot longer than other to arrive there. There had been very many friendly fellow passengers helping me along the way with bags and entertaining the kids and so one of them was saving my spot in line while I walked in circles around my two hyper kids who couldn't sit still with my crying baby in his stroller trying to get him to sleep. I called Jeremy and was just asking him to come get me because I didn't want to wait in line forever then go to a hotel and then come back and then do it all again by myself... I was starting to lose my composure, when I felt a tap on my shoulder. It was another of the moms flying with kids and she said "listen, the whole line just voted, and you're next in line". I was so overwhelmed, I literally burst into tears. I thanked her so many times as she herded my kids and my stuff to the line. I tried to turn to thank all of the people in line but it was just more crying (and very embarrassing). So long story... at 11:30 we got into our hotel room, conked the kids all out. We had to be up by 5:30 though and I couldn't sleep at all.
We came back for our 9 o'clock flight, which in the end was more like 11:30ish, but it did happen, we did take off and land in Calgary. Owen did sleep the entire time, and I had NEVER been so happy to have reached a destination. I was running on no sleep, too much stress, and honestly, crazy emotions. I remember on the flight looking at Owen sleeping so peacefully and getting teary eyed so grateful he was asleep and at how precious he was... I may have been losing it a bit!
I do have to say thank you to all of the people (who I don't know and will never read this) who helped me. The red head in the green dress who instigated the vote of the line for me and had been helpful to me already a few times... If I could I'd give you a bear hug! To the lady that talked to me, colored with Mason, did a puzzle with Brenna and walked Owen up and down the hall trying to get him to sleep and her boyfriend who helped when we had to get our bags... you two were a lifesaver and I'm glad to have met you and to have been able to thank you. To the other mom who was traveling with her family and her dad who let me tag along with them to make sure I made it to the hotel and back to the airport ok since I've never done anything like that on my own before, let alone with 3 kids. I don't know if I would have made it without your help, and the movies on your lap top. Thank you so much! And all of the other people who offered to help or smiled and wished us well. It was a great group of people to be stuck with and not one of them was rude or negative towards me and my kids.
It seems almost silly now, but I definitely felt like it was a pretty traumatic experience and was so glad to be done with it. It will be a long time before I try that again... not with a little one at least!
And of coarse I took no pictures... I don't know why I don't think to do it in these situations. I guess in survival mode I don't remember things like that!
So there you go. that's long, and I don't expect many to read, but for those who wanted the story and didn't get it! Phew! Better luck in all of your travels... and now I need good vacation ideas because we did get a few free flights out of the situation!!!
5 comments:
You are awesome girl! And you survived, and now you're a better person and mommy because of this experience!
i started crying when i was reading this post. and then i tried re-telling the story to matt and i started crying again... and matt was tearing up too! that would have been sooo hard. i am happy you met such nice people to help you out. what a blessing!
I had to read this through tears. I couldn't stop crying since the vote that you were next. so neat for Tender Mercies. You are so strong!
oh man!!!! i so feel your pain on this one chickee! no fun to travel alone in any way shape or form with 3 kids by yourself and to have all of that happen.....you are a champ for making it through in one piece!!! i'm so proud of you and so happy that you met some amazing people along the way :) so glad you're there and hope you have so much fun with the fam and cooler weather!!!!!
There are angels here on earth....you have been one to so many and I am so grateful others were there to be angels for you. :) Love you!
Post a Comment