Saturday, July 31, 2010

Nap Time Blues

Lately every day I look forward to nap time, but then once it arrives, I have to go through this argument in my head. I would like to take a nap because since we've been home Brenna hasn't been sleeping great and I am still feeding Mason in the night as well. So anyway, I often plan on taking a nap... until it rolls around.

As soon as the kids are down I start thinking of all the things that I should be doing instead of napping along with them. I should be cleaning, folding laundry, doing dishes, reading scriptures, starting my new quilt project, reading my book, making meal plans and grocery lists, organizing pictures, developing my talents, finding ways to make/save money.... the list could go on and on, but the main problem is, of coarse, that it never ends or gets done!

Then I try and convince myself that I need to rest and I can do the other stuff later and I won't sleep any better the next night, nor will I get to bed early in all likeliness...

So in conclusion, the days that I take a nap, those things generally don't ever get done, and the days that I skip the nap and do the other things, I am more tired and more excited for nap time the next day! It's a vicious cycle... I assume it's just a mom thing though! I keep thinking that in 10 years or something all my kids will be in school and I'll have all this time on my hands to do all this stuff, but I'm guessing that life then will have it's own challenges and distractions as well!

4 comments:

Packer Family said...

LOL Everyday I put the boys down for their naps, eat lunch and then take a nap myself:) I vote NAP!!!

Evelyn @ Hanging by a Silver Lining said...

So true!It's always going to be something. ALthough I hope by the time everyone is in school that they will be sleeping through the night too. {fingers crossed}

Nichole said...

You sound a lot like me, but I ALWAYS let sleep win! My oldest is almost 7 and I still take a nap every day (while she reads books). I know that I have a good excuse now, but even when I'm not pregnant I always take a nap. The other stuff will get done eventually, but if you can't take care of yourself, your house and children won't really get taken care of:)

Jaimie said...

I'm pretty sure it is a mom thing!...i do the same thing everyday! first i pray that both kids sleep at the same time for a nap, then i think hmm, should i sleep now and do my stuff when they both go to sleep tonight or get more stuff done by staying up now and doing stuff later tonight..usually i have a cup of tea and do my sewing while they nap :)